All I want for Christmas:
10) Patience. I’m new to your home and I don’t yet know the rules.
9) Again, patience. Hold your temper if I nip at you when you try to take away a bone. I’m not used to being well-fed.
Kindness. No need to buy me rhinestone collars or frou-frou outfits. Just treat me like your friend and I’ll be content.
7) Empathy. Don’t tie me up outside or keep me in a pen. I’m bred to socialize and I consider your family my pack.
6) Attention. Play with me! Tug, keep away, Come Find Me. Take me on walks, every day. Walks make me happy (and they’ll help make you fit).
5) Routine. I thrive on it: same food, same mealtime, day in and day out. Habits make me feel safe.
4) Inclusion. Take me with you on car rides, especially to the pet store. I can’t begin to tell you how ecstatic all those smells make me feel.
3) Courage. If you see another dog being mistreated, please let the authorities know. I’d want someone to speak up for me.
2) Compassion. When I get too old and ill to enjoy being a dog, please — have me euthanized.
1) Your love. Give me your heart and I’ll return it five-fold.